Weekly Feature here at Snowdrop Dreams of Books where authors and bloggers share what five books and what five other items they would want with them if they were ever stuck on a deserted island and why they chose them. Some posts are serious, some are extremely silly and some are mixture. Check back every week to see what your favourite authors and bloggers would pick. Click here if you would like to participate.
Adam Sifre, author of I've Been Deader is stopping by with an interesting set of choices for his deserted island stop. Be sure to check out the links below to learn more about his book and where to find him on the web.
Hello. As the self-acclaimed author of “I’ve Been Deader,” I can’t tell you how many times people come up to me and ask: “Hey, if you were alone on a deserted island, what five books and five items would you want to have with you?”
Because I am a very private person, I have refused to answer this question. Until now.
Five Books I’d Want on a Desert Island:
- Penthouse Forum Vol. 13. I think the reason for this is obvious.
- Moby Dick: I figure if I’m alone on a desert island and it turns out I’m there for 10 years or more, I might actually get around to reading this one.
- Stephen King’s “The Stand.” It’s not a bad book, considering it was written by someone other than me. Plus, it’s like a thousand pages and probably good for at least half a dozen fires.
- “I’ve Been Deader” by Adam Sifre. I love reading this book and murmuring “This is so much better than The Stand.”
- The Bible. Just in case God’s looking to cut me some slack.
Five items I would want on a Desert island and why.
- A can opener. Because I know if I don’t have a can opener, crates of canned chili and soup will wash up on shore, and I’m sick of irony.
- A crate of canned chili. I don’t want to be standing there with a can opener in one hand and my pen in the other without any canned chili.
- The complete works of Pauley Shore and CarrotTop dvd collection. So each day I can at least be thankful I don’t have a dvd player.
- An answering machine with caller ID. I want to be rescued but I don’t want to get stuck talking to Aunt Florence for three hours again.
- I really only need four things. I’m not one of those materialistic writers. But if I had to pick a fifth item, maybe a monument in the form of a solid gold statute depicting me holding my book to the sky. This way, hundreds of years from now when others become stranded here, they will have something to worship.
On a side note, I actually was shipwrecked on a deserted island once for six weeks. Having nothing better to do then hit on the local coconuts, I began writing “I’ve Been Deader.” I had no pen or paper and wrote the entire first draft in the sand. Towards the end, I thought I was suffering from writer’s block, but it turned out to be kidney stones.
Thanks for having me!
About the author:
Lawyer, Writer, Zombie Man
I have no real interest in anything and therefore write about everything. Think of the funniest person you know. I'm just a little bit funnier. Same goes for humble and good looking. Stick around. We'll have some fun.